It’s a dance, not a walk. This is a phrase Dan and I heard from our instructors as we began ballroom dancing together. When you begin taking ballroom dance lessons you will look a bit stiff at first. Your steps will look very mechanical. You will be concentrating on what step to do next. You are trying so hard not to step on your partner’s toes. There is so much to think about. The music takes you to a new level with your dance.
The music will make your dance flow. The music has to “get into your soul.” The music will take you from walking to dancing.
Feel the music, let it get inside you. The music will take you down the dance floor and put a flow to your step.
It’s a dance, not a walk.
Count: slow (hold step for 2 counts)-quick-quick (side together), slow-quick, quick (Latin hip movement. Hint – it’s all about the knees…)
A spot dance with small steps
Think: Latin, sassy, romantic
- The Way You Look Tonight by Michael Buble
- Quando, Quando, Quando by Michael Buble
- Wonderful Tonight by (you guessed it, Michael Buble)
- The Way I Am-Ingrid Michaelson (More complex beat)
- Smooth Operator-Sade
- Jardin D ‘himer-Duo Gadjo and their Hot Friends
- You’ll Be In My Heart- Vio Friedmann
- Endless Love(rumba)Ballroom Orchestra-Hits for Ballroom Dancing
- Song from a Secret Garden-Ballroom Orchestra and Singers
God’s Word-Psalms 108:1 My heart, O God, is steadfast; I will sing and make music with all my soul.